My new theme sprint is: plants! I started off with a repeating pattern of an orange tree. I’ll be able to quickly repurpose the pattern to do a lemon tree, and probably a pear tree.

I’m finding it quite simple to create these repeat patterns now, even when they are somewhat complex.

This particular orange tree pattern would likely suit best as a tablecloth. See it on Redbubble.

Do a layered feather pattern, I said. It’ll be simple, fun, and quick, I told myself. I was wrong. The Adobe Illustrator file got so big and unwieldy that every action took ages,

My process in a nutshell: draw some simple feather shapes in Procreate on the Ipad. Migrate those into Illustrator and vectorize. Add color, texture, shadows. Create the repeating pattern on a 9.5″ x 10″ square. Export into photoshop to make final PNG for upload.

The pattern itself is fairly simple – I created three blue tipped feathers and arranged them in an overlapping pattern to create the appearance of a feathered being. Fun for a pillow or a dress!

Self grade: C+

The good: I like the speckles and gentle colors. The bad: The contrast isn’t quite enough and I think the fact that they are feathers could be a bit ambiguous. The style isn’t much to my liking.

Tomorrow is Saturday, and I’m hoping to do something a bit more ambitious. A friend told me she’d love to see me do more badass ladies from history portraits. I’m intrigued.

 

Today’s print was a struggle. I was having trouble finding inspiration. I just purchased some cool new brushes for Procreate and was doodling with them. I loved the grungy texture that I could get from some of them, but nothing was coming of my doodling.

I decided to do a simple spiral. Like I said before, sometimes you just have to commit yourself to the thing you are already doing when it’s getting near bedtime and you are getting tired and you’ve made this crazy challenge for yourself and you are going to stick to it, dammit.

So, I did a hand drawn spiral in with some lovely grungy textures. Pulled that into illustrator to trace into vector with minimal success, made it larger, pulled it into photoshop, and then sat there hating it. I hated the colors I had used, the spiral was boring, I’m no good at anything that I do. But I poked at it and played at it and at one point duplicated a layer and rotated it and suddenly things got a bit more interesting.

I first did it pink and uploaded that to Redbubble, but it was a bit too pepto-bismol and reminded me of intestines. So I pulled it back into Photoshop and went with a cool electric blue. No more spiraling intestines.

I’m still not in love with it, but it is very graphic and looks kind of cool on all the products. Here’s the evolution of the design:

That’s all I’ve got today! It’s almost 11pm. I’m exhausted. See ya tomorrow!