When I woke up this morning, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

The result is not exactly what I had in my head, but it does have the element of graduated circles. I like the way it creates a light and shadow effect. Available on over 53 products on Redbubble!

I know what I want to do next for a theme sprint, but I’m going to stick with Geometric for a while longer. There’s an entire world of design to be explored there.

That’s all for me today. Until tomorrow!

Yes, I’m changing the name of my challenge. Practically no one’s watching (and if you are, Hi!). I think it’s catchier, and it can encompass all the different things I’m doing. And I don’t have to remember if it’s Print and Pattern or Pattern and Print.

Today I put my new found Illustrator skill to use to create something I’ve always wanted to do; It’s not really an optical illusion, but it’s optically interesting. I played a lot with color, but ultimately, I found it to be most striking in black and white.

Here it is on Redbubble!

I found this to be a compelling pattern so I threw it onto a few other products as well. Here it is on a Flare dress on my Art of Where store where I oriented it lengthwise:

preview-flare-dress-1850871-front-f

And on a beanie, which I may just have to order for myself:

preview-beanie-1850841-left-f

That’s it for me! Until tomorrow!

My geometric theme sprint continues. Today I set out to do something completely different from the design you see below. I love the final result though, especially those rich, subdued colors.

And better yet! I learned a new technique in Illustrator to make this happen! Almost everything about this design is the result of accidents, experiments, trial and error and a lot of me saying “What happens if I do this?”

My process started out in Illustrator where I created the shapes, overall design and the color scheme. In photoshop I mellowed down the colors a lot, added some noise to mellow it even more, and did some color correction to get it more balanced.

That’s it for me today! Guess what, it’s not even 9pm yet! A record!

Oh, and here’s the Redbubble link to all the products!

Until tomorrow!

Do a layered feather pattern, I said. It’ll be simple, fun, and quick, I told myself. I was wrong. The Adobe Illustrator file got so big and unwieldy that every action took ages,

My process in a nutshell: draw some simple feather shapes in Procreate on the Ipad. Migrate those into Illustrator and vectorize. Add color, texture, shadows. Create the repeating pattern on a 9.5″ x 10″ square. Export into photoshop to make final PNG for upload.

The pattern itself is fairly simple – I created three blue tipped feathers and arranged them in an overlapping pattern to create the appearance of a feathered being. Fun for a pillow or a dress!

Self grade: C+

The good: I like the speckles and gentle colors. The bad: The contrast isn’t quite enough and I think the fact that they are feathers could be a bit ambiguous. The style isn’t much to my liking.

Tomorrow is Saturday, and I’m hoping to do something a bit more ambitious. A friend told me she’d love to see me do more badass ladies from history portraits. I’m intrigued.

 

Today’s creation process was like meditation. It was an Illustrator-driven zentangle. I took my favorite swatches of halftone patterns and created a rocky step pattern – descending planes of light and dark, all done in polka dotted half-tones. Have I mentioned my obsession with polka dots? I’d own that and do nothing but polka dots, but someone more famous than me has already done that.

Anyway, I’m not too concerned about how this one came out because I enjoyed the process so much that I’m feeling quite satisfied. Much better than yesterday, which was a fight the entire time.

Here’s Day 4’s, the full picture image is a screenshot and a bit funky due to the resolution. I’ve included a detail of the halftone patterns and of course a product shot from Redbubble.

See ya tomorrow!

Today’s print was a struggle. I was having trouble finding inspiration. I just purchased some cool new brushes for Procreate and was doodling with them. I loved the grungy texture that I could get from some of them, but nothing was coming of my doodling.

I decided to do a simple spiral. Like I said before, sometimes you just have to commit yourself to the thing you are already doing when it’s getting near bedtime and you are getting tired and you’ve made this crazy challenge for yourself and you are going to stick to it, dammit.

So, I did a hand drawn spiral in with some lovely grungy textures. Pulled that into illustrator to trace into vector with minimal success, made it larger, pulled it into photoshop, and then sat there hating it. I hated the colors I had used, the spiral was boring, I’m no good at anything that I do. But I poked at it and played at it and at one point duplicated a layer and rotated it and suddenly things got a bit more interesting.

I first did it pink and uploaded that to Redbubble, but it was a bit too pepto-bismol and reminded me of intestines. So I pulled it back into Photoshop and went with a cool electric blue. No more spiraling intestines.

I’m still not in love with it, but it is very graphic and looks kind of cool on all the products. Here’s the evolution of the design:

That’s all I’ve got today! It’s almost 11pm. I’m exhausted. See ya tomorrow!